Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Almost There (October Travels)

Thanks to Lisa for reminding me that I forgot to continue updating my blog. However, shortly after that reminder, my Internet went out for a few hours, then I had to go work, SO I forgot again for a minute. "Minute" = a few days. :)
Our Internet has been going out quite frequently at the camp lately. Frustrating for sure. I haven't had the time to troubleshoot it because I usually just fall asleep by 9-10pm.

This post is pretty boring, or will be, I can tell you that right now. It is basically a timeline of my trip from Iraq to the US to give you an idea of what I went thru and how my sleep patterns got kinda messed up. The return trip was worse though.

I forget exactly when I arrived at the terminal the night I left Iraq, but I can tell you the flight didn't depart until 2:30am and we landed in Kuwait around 5:30-6am - did not sleep on the flight. It was too loud and uncomfortable. I checked in at the Kuwait base and waited for about an hour to figure out what I was supposed to do or get done. Finally, I was directed to a tent to drop my stuff off and sleep if desired. The tent had 8 or 9 bunk beds and all the bottom beds were taken, so I grabbed a top bunk (was not given sheets, towels, pillows at this time) and tried to sleep around 9am. I used my backpack as a pillow.

After trying to sleep twice, I got about 3-4 hours of broken sleep in that morning/afternoon. Got a bus ride to Kuwait International Airport around 9pm to catch the 1am flight to Frankfurt, Germany. No problem, easy navigation. The flight took about 5.5 hours and I don't remember getting any sleep on this flight, I slept approximately 1.5 hours on this or the next flight.

After arriving in Germany at 8am, I had 5.5 hours to kill before my 1:30pm flight to Philly. Since I could not go to sleep and didn't have time to leave the airport and come back, I just roamed the shops section of the airport for 5 hours - Sitting, walking, "shopping".

The flight back to the States took about 8-9 hours (Left at 1:30pm Germany time, arrived in Philly at 4:30pm EST). Again, I don't remember which flight I got sleep on, but the total sleep was about 1.5 hours between the Kuwait-Frankfurt and Frankfurt-Philly flights.

Upon arriving in Philly, I was picked up by one of my best friends (good man, Jesse) and dropped off at home. I dropped my things off, hung around for a little bit, then went over to my other best friend's house (Andrew) for the night. Finally fell asleep at 11pm - while we were still hanging out and talking, something they've gotten used to me doing. ;)

1 comment: